To successfully complete our version of a clean eating challenge(there are many versions) you are to cut out, completely, the following foods for 30 day's.
- Grains and beans - bread, rice, pasta, corn, oatmeal quinoa, lentils, peanuts count as beans etc.
- Dairy - Milk, cream, cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. (we are ok with butter esp. if it from grass fed cows)
- Sugar - Any kind, real or artificial. This includes natural sugars like agave nectar, honey, and stevia
- Processed foods - Anything in a box, bag or other package that can be kept in the pantry for months on end. This includes protein shakes and nutrition bars.
- Good Fats - Coconut, olive oil, avocado,nuts and seeds
- Fruit - in limited amounts if fat loss is a goal.
It is our belief that the human body expresses itself in its most healthy form when provided foods that are fresh and as close to their natural form as possible. We got into this business with the intention of teaching people how to lift weights and get strong and in the process healthy. What we have found, through trial and error, is the first step to better health is healing the gut. Healing the gut heals the body and healing the gut starts with quality foods. These foods are high in nutrients and minimally processed. As a society, we have moved away from natural whole foods to more processed foods out of convenience and at a huge cost to our health. Many people today suffer from diseases that can be directly related to years of poor nutrition. Conditions can range from mild inflammation causing irritable bowel and constant diarrhea to any number of autoimmune conditions such as arthritis, celiac, chrones, diabetes, etc, the list is long.
30 days is just a random number that we feel will give your gut time to heal and help you break free from some of the addicting qualities of many of these processed foods. You can then reintroduce some of the eliminated foods and see how your body responds. In most cases you will realize these foods do not make you feel very good.
The challenge section, the search box, and archive of our blog can provide a ton of information to answer most questions, but if you cannot find what you are looking for please ask us and we will help you find an answer. Here is another post giving you the top 5 reasons to jump in on the challenge.
We are looking forward to getting things rolling on Wednesday and will be back with posts on what you should measure before the challenge starts and some kitchen tools that will make the process easier.